Former World Champion’s Muskrat Skinning
Rules & Procedures
- All contestants must furnish their own muskrat for skinning competition.
- Muskrat skinner will be allowed to enter only ONE (1) muskrat skinning competition.
- The muskrat must be killed at least TWO (2) hours prior to showtime.
- All contestants or anyone acting on their behalf or at their direction are prohibited from killing the muskrat on school property.
- All contestants must be present with their muskrat at showtime for their muskrat to be inspected by judges.
- After the muskrat has been inspected by the judges, the muskrat will be placed in a locked compartment and held in the registration room until time for the contest.
- The muskrat will be inspected again prior to contestant’s entry on stage.
- All contestants must skin ONE (1) muskrat in the World’s Championship on Saturday evening.
- All contestants will be individually timed.
- At the start of the competition all contestants must be on stage in the contestant’s preferred skinning position with skinning knife in hand and with both hands up in the air at shoulder height.
- All contestants will start skinning when the emcee says, “GO”, at which time the timer starts the timing watch. The timer will stop the watch with the fur leaves the carcass.
- Contestants must stand after they have completed skinning the muskrats, stay beside the skinning stations and not touch the muskrat hide or carcass until after the judges have judged the muskrat hides, carcass and recorded their time of skinning in the contest.
- The contestant with the fastest time will be considered the winner unless he is disqualified by one of the following disqualification rules as follows:
A. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she leaves any fur on the belly of the
B. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she does not leave both eyeholes in the
C. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she does not leave the nose of the muskrat
in the hide.
D. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she has any knife cuts in the hide.
E. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she pulls the hide apart.
F. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she leaves either foot on the hide.
G. Contestant will be disqualified if he/she touches the muskrat hide or carcass
before the judges have completed judging the contest.
14. If, after the judges have completed judging the contestant’s muskrat hide
and carcass, there is not either muskrat skinner in the competition that qualifies
as a winner in accordance with the above muskrat skinning rules, then and in
that event only, seconds will be added to the recorded times of the muskrat
skinning finalists as follows:
A. Ten (10) seconds added to final time for any fur left on the muskrat carcasses.
B. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for each eye hole left in the hide.
C. Ten (10) seconds added to final time if the nose of the muskrat is not left in
D. Ten (10) seconds added to final time for each knife cut left in the hides.
E. Ten (10) seconds added to final time for each hide that has been pulled apart.
F. Ten (10) seconds added to final time for each foot left on the hide.
15. If the judges are required to proceed with enforcing the rules and
regulations set forth in Rule 14 above, then, and in that event only, the winner will be declared with the fastest skinning time after the second penalties have been added.
ALL CONTESTANTS ENTER CONTEST AT THEIR OWN RISK. THE NATIONAL OUTDOOR FOUNDATION OR THE NATIONAL OUTDOOR SHOW COMMITTEE MEMBERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES OR LOSSES. ALL DECISIONS BY JUDGES ARE FINAL.