World Champion Junior Men’s Muskrat Skinning
(Ages 13 to 17)
- All contestants must furnish their own muskrat for skinning competition.
- Muskrat skinner will be allowed to enter only one muskrat skinning competition.
- All muskrats must be killed at least two (2) hours prior to showtime.
- All contestants or anyone acting on their behalf or at their direction are prohibited from killing muskrats on school property.
- All contestants must be present with their muskrats at showtime for their muskrats to be inspected by the judges.
- After the muskrat have been inspected by the judges, the muskrats will be placed in a locked compartment and held in the registration room until the time of the contest.
- All muskrats will be inspected again immediately prior to contestant’s entry on stage.
- All contestants must skin 2 muskrats in the Junior Men’s competition on Saturday evening.
- All contestants will be individually timed.
- At the start of the competition all contestants must be on stage in the contestant’s preferred skinning position, with skinning knife in hand and with both hands up in the air at shoulder height.
- All contestants will start skinning when the emcee says, “GO”, at which time the timer starts the timing watch. The timer will stop the watch when the fur leaves the carcass.
- Contestants must stand after they completed skinning the muskrat. The contestant must remain beside the skinning station and not touch the muskrat hides OR carcasses, until after the judges have judged the muskrat hides, carcasses, and recorded their time of skinning in the contest.
- The contestant with the fastest time will be considered the winner unless he is disqualified by one of the following disqualification rules, viz.:
A. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she leaves any fur on the belly of the muskrat carcass.
B.Contestants will be disqualified if he or she does not leave both eyeholes in the muskrat hide.
C. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she does not leave the nose of the muskrat in the hide.
D. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she has any knife cuts in the hide.
E. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she pulls either of the hides apart.
F. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she leaves either foot on hide.
G. Contestants will be disqualified if he or she touches muskrat hides or carcasses before the judges have completed judging the contest.
- If, after the judges have completed judging the contestant’s muskrat hides and carcasses, there is not either of the muskrat skinners in the competition that qualifies as a winner in accordance with the above muskrat skinning rules, then and in that event only, seconds will be added to the recorded times of the muskrat skinning finalists as follows, viz.:
A.Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for any fur left on each of the muskrat carcasses.
B. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for each eyehole not left in the hides.
C. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time if the nose of the muskrat is not left in each hide.
D. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for each knife cut left in the hides.
E. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for each hide that has been pulled apart.
F. Ten (10) seconds added to the final time for each foot left on the hide.
- If the judges are required to proceed with enforcing the rules and regulations set forth in Rule 14 (above), then, and in that event only, the winner will be declared with the fastest skinning time after the second penalties have been added.
THE DECISION REACHED BY THE JUDGES WILL BE FINAL. ALL CONTESTANTS ENTER CONTEST AT THEIR OWN RISK. THE NATIONAL OUTDOOR FOUNDATION OR THE OUTDOOR SHOW COMMITTEE MEMBERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES OR LOSSES.
RULES AND PROCEDURES AUTHORIZED BY THE 2017 NATIONAL OUTDOOR SHOW FOUNDATION, INC.
The National Outdoor Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.